Tuesday 3 May 2011

My Car

Well this is the Car I will be racing in the GT Series.
I have already competed in two summer series events.
It is a Calandra GenX 10 that I picked up second hand.


Photobucket



Running 1s Lipo with Futaba 3VC radio gear, Tekin RS Pro and Redline 10.5 Motor.
Using the RCDynamics booster.


Photobucket



With the original GenX10 the batteries/lipo were meant to come out of the bottom using a removable tray. Because I am using 1S lipo I am just taking it out of the top with the 4 screws. The new LE has a lower top desk as well I believe. I have added foam padding to the top deck to support the 1s lipos.

Photobucket



I had a rather bad accident that cracked the rear pod plate. When I replaced the rear pod plate I bought another motor mount (Part No CAL-3340) to bolster up the strength of the rear plate. There is also a new top plate (CAL-1763) which adds more strength, this has arrived this morning and I shall be fitting later.

Photobucket



One flaw I found with the car is the front bumper. Carbon fibre isn't too good in a crash, I have already broke one and replaced it. I am currently working on making some out of Nylon66, this is more durable and flexable in a big crash. I did have one cut out but gave it to Phil Sheepie at the last Ardent summer series so he could carry on racing. It worked fine for him on his RC10R5 so should work well on any car. The material only costs pennies so I would recommend if you need to replace your bumper replace it with Nylon66.

Photobucket



Another thing that surprised when it broke was where the main chassis connects to the side links. After a big crash the ball stud bent with the screw 45 degrees in to the chassis cracking its mounting. I was shocked about this as I would have thought the side link would have popped off before doing such damage. I had to fix this trackside so out came the dremel and a bit of fibreglass!! I managed to get the ball stud, mounted and straight but thought that there was a major weakness in the chassis. I am surprised that CRC didnt leave that little bit of carbon fibre in just for strength.

Photobucket



As you can see I cut out some carbon fibre to fibre and super glued it in. This strengthened up the chassis and allowed me to keep on racing. I have since done the same on the other side. 


Photobucket


I have a new chassis coming and will be doing the same with that just to make sure it doesn't happen again.


I will be preparing my car for the first national this weekend so will try to post some updates about it.
Cheers for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers